10th March 2010, hej
This Article: (4 Pages)
1) Bible Numerology
There is great significance in some numbers used in the Bible.
However, there are whole theories of meaning based on the numerical value of words in Hebrew. Whereas they may be interesting, there is no indication in the scriptures themselves that the human reasoning on such a level is of importance. The simple literal message must be understood first.
There also are many cultural meanings attached to numbers, which have nothing to do with the Bible.
Many people have 'lucky' numbers. If the person thinks that number brings them luck, then they are giving that number more power than God. The bible says that there is such a thing as time and chance (Ecclesiates 9:11), but, we cannot ascribe power for good or evil to anything but God. When people ask for good from their idols, while believing if they do things for them they would give good luck, they are assuming the idol has power. So altering our behaviour to suit a number, to bring us good luck, is very close to idolatry. For example buying only a house with a street number or unit number 8, 80 or 88 and believing it will bring wealth is very different to, after buying a practical house, valuing it's street number because God values that number.
Numbers in the Bible
The Bible is its own best interpreter, and what numbers mean in our culture may be a long way from what God thinks. To determine what a number means all instances of the number are investigated and compared. A pattern may emerge. The following will show instances that numbers are used and summarise the pattern of meaning that emerges. Some numbers have a stronger and more striking meaning than others.
One always relates to unity. One excludes all differences and indicates harmony and the absense of conflict. One is also about beginning and the first in importance.
- One rib of Adam was taken and it was decreed that "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." (Genesis 2:24)(EPH 5:31)
- "And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech" (Genesis 11:1)
- The great stement of Isarel "Hear Israel He-who-will-be our-Mighty-Ones He-who-will-be one
- The first commandment is that the nation should "love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might" (Deuteronomy 6:4-5)
- Of Abraham "Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable.(Heb 11:12)
- For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; (1Ti 2:5)
- Regarding Christ and God "For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us" (Eph 2:14)
- Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one. (Gal 3:20)
- Jesus prayed "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: (Joh 17:20-22)
- But now are they many members, yet but one body. (1Co 12:20)
- And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common. (Act 4:32)
- And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. (Col 3:15)
- Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. (Php 2:2)
- that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel (Php 1:27)
- "Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all. (Eph 4:3-6)
- "Both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren (Heb 2:11)
- "One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourns among you" (Exodus 12:49)
- "There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy"(James 4:12)
- "Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another"(1Peter 3:8)
- And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. (1Jn 5:8) (note 1Jn5:7 and the first part of this verse does not occur in some mauscripts)
- "These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast" (Rev 17:13)
- And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one. (Zechariah 14:9)
Many of the references to 'first', refer to God.
- "Thus says the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. (Isaiah 44:6)
Some refences to first refer to Jesus' exaltation,
- And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead,(Rev 1:5)
- Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou see, write in a book, (Rev 1:11)
Two is about difference. However if two agree in in their testimony the facts they agree on are conlusive.
Two implies oposition eminty and division. The 2nd book of the bible begins with the opression of by enemy of Israel. The second book of Psalms (Psa 42:9) begins with the opression of an enemy. This pattern is also in 1st and 2nd Corinthians and 1st and 2nd Peter.
- Two Goats Leviticus 16:7,8
- Two birds Leviticus 14:4-6
- Two opinions 1 kings 18:21
- Two Masters Matthew 6:24
- Two sons Mattehw 21:28
- Two commandments Matt 22:37-40
- Two debtors Luke 7:41
- Two men Luke 10:10
- Two covenants Galatians 4:24 compare Hebrews 8
- First and second Adam 1 Corinthians 15
Three lines is the first number that can make a geometrical shape. Three is a number used and valued by God. The third book of the bible is Leviticus which sets out the laws. On the third day of creation the earth was caused to rise out of the water, whih relates to Jesus' resurrection when he rises from the grave. Three seems the first measure of completeness.
- And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: (Gen 5:22)
- And Noah begat three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth. (Gen 6:10)
- The ark was 300 cubits long Gen 6:15
- The covenant God made with Abraham to establish he would inherit the land after he was dead was sealed with an heifer of three years old, a she goat of three years old, a ram of three years old (a turtledove & a young pigeon) Gen 15:9
- Three men came to tell Abraham and Sarah they were to have a Isaac Gen. 18
- Leah defines 3 sons as her 'joining' to Jacob and calls her 3rd son Levi Gen 29.34
- All the souls that came from Leah in Padamaram were 33 Gen 46:15
- The 9th plague was thick darkness in all the land of Egypt for three days: (Exo 10:22)
- Moses brought Israel from the Red sea; and they went three days in the wilderness, and found no water. And he cried unto the LORD; and the LORD shewed him a tree, which when he had cast into the waters, the waters were made sweet:...and there he proved them(Exo 15:22-25)
- Three times thou shalt keep a feast unto me in the year. (Exo 23:14)
- To make the Israelites right before God. "Moses stood in said, Who is on the LORD'S side? let him come unto me. And all the sons of Levi gathered themselves together unto him. And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour. And the children of Levi did according to the word of Moses: and there fell of the people that day about three thousand men. (Exo 32:26-28)
- For the birth of a son a woman continued in the blood of her purifying three and thirty days;Lev 12:4
Four is often used to relate to aspects of the order of creation on the earth, and by extension it relates to cities and government of people (the figurative earth. See Symbolism)
Forty is often related to trial and to a separation or preparation.
- In the flood it rained 40 days and 40 nights on the earth (Gen 7:4)
- Isaac was forty years old when he took Rebekah to wife (Gen 25:20)
- Moses dwelt as a stranger in the wilderness 40 years.
- The children of Israel did eat manna forty years, until they came to Canaan (Exo 16:35)
- Moses was in the mount forty days and forty nights. (Exo 24:18). "He was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments."(Exo 34:28)
- The spies returned from searching of the land after forty days.(Num 13:25) Caleb was 40 years old (Jos 14:7)
- Goliath the Philistine tested Israel 40 days. (1 Sam 17:16)
- Both David and Solomon reigned 40 years. 1 Kings 2:11 & 11:42
- Those of Nineveh were given 40 days to repent. (Jonah 3:4)
- The Babylonian captivity of Egypt was 40 years (Ezek. 29:12)
- Jesus spent 40 days and nights in the wildnerness after his baptism and was tempted (Matt 4:2) and then was seen 40 days of the Apostles 40 days to explain to them the scripture. Acts 1:3
144. One hundred and Forty four
153. One hundred and fifty three
365. Three hundred and Sixty five
There is one myth that has no foundation: it is a total myth that having 13 at the last supper was unlucky. Also the term 'last supper' does not occur at all in any reputable translation of the Bible. It was not the last time Jesus will keep that supper.