Son of God
29th November 2008, mgh,hej
This Article: (12 Pages)
- 1. The Son of God
- 2. The Son of Man
- 3. The Special Birth of the Son of God
- 4. Paul's ideas regarding God and the... Son of God
- 5. What is meant by Jesus being Sent?
- 6. God's Character Shown to the World
- 7. There is no power but that of Yahweh
- 8. Jesus as the Man
- 9. In the Beginning was the Word... (John 1)
- 10. The Title 'God'
- 11. Could Christ have Pre-existed?
- 12. Our future as Sons of God
5) What is meant by Jesus being Sent?
Jesus we are told was 'sent'.
“This is life eternal to know Thee the only true God and Jesus Christ whom thou has sent.” (John 17: 3)
This practice of 'sending' was not new. Jeremiah, at a critical time in Israel's history was sent to prophesy to the people. Also Jeremiah was told:
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; and before you came came forth out of the womb I sanctified you, and I ordained you a prophet to the nations...you shall go to all that I shall send you, and whatsoever I command you shall speak.” (Jeremiah 1: 5-7)
Israel was accused of not hearing the “words of my servants the prophets, whom I sent unto you.” (Jeremiah 26: 5). This practise of the 'sending' of prophets to the nation of Israel was well established. In the New Testament John explains that John the Baptist was 'sent'.
There was a man sent from God, whose name was John...He was not that light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. (John 1: 6, 8)
Jeremiah though Yahweh knew about him before he was conceived, did not pre-exist. None of the prophets pre-existed, but they were 'sent', just as Jesus was 'sent', to the nation of Israel as messengers of Yahweh in the furtherance of his purpose with humans.